Hard Disk Drive Not Spinning Up
Users are quick to recognise a faulty hard disk drive and by far the most common symptom reported to the Datlabs Customer Services Help Desk is:
“my hard disk drive appears to be dead”
“my hard disk drive is not spinning up”
Hard Disk Drive No Power.
If the hard disk drive has no power it will not be detected by the Basic Input Output System (BIOS) and will appear dead and will not spin-up.
The computer BIOS program is used by the computer microprocessor to get the system started once you turn it on. The BIOS also manages the data transfer between the OS and the devices attached the computer i.e. hard disk drives, keyboard, mouse and printer.
Before attempting to localise a hard disk drive power fault please refer to the manufacturer or system user manual however.
The following is a summary of how to localise hard disk drive power problems:
- Power-off the computer.
- Remove the data cable from the hard drive.
- Turn on the system.
- Check to see if the hard drive is spinning.
- Touch the side of the hard disk drive and you should feel a slight vibration.
- If you do not hear or feel the hard drive spinning then the drive did not start.
- Switch power cables with a device like a CDROM or DVDROM drive, so that you are using a known-good power cable.
- If the drive is still not spinning, connect it in another computer.
- Alternatively connect to a SATA-USB enclosure or hard drive docking station.
These basic diagnostic procedures will eliminate the possibility of a faulty computer or motherboard connection main computer and localise the fault to the hard disk drive itself.
Incorrect Hard Disk Drive Jumper Settings.
If you have a 3.0 Gbit/sec SATA connected to a 1.5 Gbit/sec SATA controller you may need to arrange the jumper settings to cater for the slower interface speed that will allow it to be recognised correctly. Please refer to the manufacturers specifications.
Faulty Hard Disk Drive.
If you have carefully completed the recommended checks and procedures and the drive is still not properly detected contact the Datlabs Data Recovery Help Desk for advice and assistance.