The words we hear most when people call DatLabs – “I’ve lost all my work!!”
How often have you uttered those words? Something has gone wrong perhaps someone spilled a drink over your laptop in the middle of working, or for no reason you get the blue screen of death signifying something has gone wrong with your computer.
What do you do?
What do do when you lose your work on the computer
It doesn’t matter what your files are, the data on your computer or laptop is important and losing it all can mean the loss of precious memories, years of work, or something very important that you need quickly.
So what do you do?
- Don’t panic – in most cases the work is not lost forever and can be retrieved
- Turn off your computer – don’t mess around with it just turn it off at the plug
- Do not do any DIY Data Recovery – chances are this will make the files harder to retrieve by an expert
- Contact a data recovery expert for a free no obligation evaluation – in many cases data recovery from a laptop or personal computer is cheaper than you think
How to prevent lost work
Prevention is always better than cure there are a few ways you can prevent losing all your work – these are not fail safe solutions as data loss can be down to a lot of things, however there are safeguards you can put in place.
- Keep saving work – we’ve all had it where we’ve lost work, got it back and its not the latest version, always keep saving your work
- Keep a back up – external hard drives or cloud servers are ideal to back up important work and keep precious files
- Back up your back ups – make sure you have back ups of everything that is important and keep them in secure locations
- Archive work – another form of back ups is to archive your work when you are no longer using it, this can again be on a portable hard drive, usb or CD/DVD
- Keep software up to date – make sure you have up to date software, this will make the risk of a software malfunction less likely
- Upgrade your computer – unfortunately with hard ware it does get old and if you are using your laptop or computer daily for important work you should consider upgrading every couple of years, don’t wait until there is a problem with the hard drive, you can upgrade SD and HDD discs opn many computers whithout having to invest in a whole new system.
- Invest in anti virus software – decent virus software will keep most computer viruses at bay
- Don’t click on suspicious links or allow access to suspicious applications – this is to prevent any viruses.
If you do all this then if your computer does fail and you lose your data, chances are you will have a back up, and also it will be easier to diagnose and sort a problem by a data recovery specialist.
Read more about Datlabs Data Recovery Service During Lock Down.